1. I feel like I've been using the exclamation point a lot lately without meaning to. I'm not sure why. I think it's one of my writing weaknesses that I use exclamation points as much as I do, but I can't help it. It gives animation, character, and a happier feel to the words that are written. Look at how flat this paragraph has been with only periods.
Long live the exclamation mark!!
2. It's No-Shave November for all the men out there who participate in that nonsense. Yeah I know it's for a good cause but I don't like it. Please just shave. You can still donate money to the cause. Don't go the hairy route. I prefer clean-shaven men; I think they look so much better, but that's just my opinion!
3. This is the first fall since John started kindergarten that he hasn't played basketball. There wasn't a time and day that worked with our schedule this fall, and they changed the location away from the rec center which complicated matters. John already has a lot going on with six hour of gymnastics practice a week, plus swim lessons, Scouts, and band practice. But I think basketball is a great team sport to play, and he liked it. So I've been feeling a little sad about our no basketball-fall. I miss the thud of basketballs and sitting on a bench watching him practice while flipping through catalogs and perusing Facebook. It's been part of our fall every year since we moved here.
I miss basketball!!
(This paragraph needed an exclamation mark. Two, actually! Now three. Okay I'll stop!
4. Speaking of John, who is the resident anti-reader of the family, this has been a great week for him when it comes to reading and books!
First, I took him and Sam to see the Goosebumps movie last Saturday because I'd told John that if he read the two Goosebumps books that I'd bought for him last summer, I'd take him to see the movie when it came out. Well, my little plan worked. He read the books AND he enjoyed them, and seeing the movie made him want to read all of the Goosebumps books. Hooray! Thank you R.L. Stine! We'll be getting Goosebumps books at the school book fair next week!
(The movie was good, by the way. The boys liked it and so did I.)
The second victory for John and reading this week was that the newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book came out, and John has really been enjoying reading it. He's been staying up late reading it in bed. Yay! I never thought I'd be so happy about having my kid stay up late to read in bed. The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are pretty much the only book series that John has really connected with. That and Goosebumps may turn out to be his reading salvation!
5. I've been watching the new Muppets show on ABC and I think it's really funny. I get a real kick out of one of the characters in particular. His name is Pepe. He's a King Prawn (whatever that is) and he's so funny! He makes me laugh every time.
His Spanish accent and his little tooth sticking up out of his bottom lip crack me up.
When he wears this outfit--a black turtleneck and gold chain--it also cracks me up. I don't know why, it just does.
This weekend I'm looking forward to getting my hair chopped off (again, only more this time!), and to Donald Trump hosting Saturday Night Live. That's gonna be crazy!
Have a good weekend!