1. On Sunday we saw a snake in our backyard. It was the first time we'd seen a snake in the yard since moving here almost five years ago. It was an experience I hadn't been looking forward to. The kids were thrilled, though--especially Sam. He was so excited! It was a long black garter snake with yellow stripes. Sorry Sam, but I hope to never see it again!
2. The next day, on Monday morning, I saw something very sweet that was on the opposite end of the spectrum from the snake. It was a mother deer with her tiny little baby! It was the youngest baby deer I've ever seen. It looked like it had just been born in the last few days. It was adorable on its wobbly, stick-like little legs. I loved seeing how the mother cared for it. It was an awesome thing to see!
3. Then yesterday, I went walking with my friend Melanie and she brought their new 13-week-old puppy along. He was sooooo cute! I love puppies so much. I got to hold him and play with him and I went to bed last night thinking about him (I'm a crazy puppy lady, I totally admit it). I wanna play with him again!
4. Another cool thing I saw, not this week but a few weeks ago, was the planet Jupiter up close through a telescope. I took a four-week "Stargazing 101" class at the local community college just for fun, and at the end of the first class, the teacher took us outside and showed us the moon, Mercury, and Jupiter up close through his amazing telescope. You could see all the craters on the moon--I've never seen it up that close before. And seeing Jupiter blew me away. It had the stripes and the big red eye (just like in the textbooks!), and you could even see a few of its moons. Right up there in our sky! It's amazing that there's so much going on up there, and so often, we don't even realize it. I find it very symbolic. I love space!
5. We have a brand-new grocery store that just opened on Tuesday near our neighborhood. I went there on my way home from class that evening, and I was so impressed! This grocery store may change my life.